Sustainable energy for households in the Netherlands
The Holwerd waste-to-value plant is our first biogas plant in the Netherlands, founded in 2018. It’s designed to create sustainable biomethane, which is being introduced into the national grid for households’ energy consumption in the Netherlands.
The biogas used to create biomethane, is made from a mixture of livestock manures and other co-products. Via an anaerobic digestion process, we upgrade the biogas to biomethane. The degistate is separated into thin liquid and solid digestate fractions by means of a decanter. Both fractions are further processed and re-utilized as fertilizer.
- We have produced 3,200,000 m3 of biogas of which 13.500 MWh were injected into the Dutch gas grid providing gas to 1650 households.
- Since the upgrade, the installed capacity is 2.5MW.
- We have processed 32,000 tonnes of feedstock (mix of co-products and manure).
- Liquids are stored on-site and used for fertilizer on local farming lands.
- Solids undergo further treatment offsite where it is dried and reused as fertiliser.